Careers curriculum and information support
YC Hertfordshire supports learning organisations to ensure young people have access to accurate information and a high quality programme of careers education, work related learning and personal development.
Click the photos below to read or download the brochure detailing our careers curriculum services for governors and staff:
Specialist curriculum services: Information for governors:
From the academic year 2017-18 learning providers can purchase support time as follows:
Information and resources support – practical support to ensure resource areas contain impartial, accurate, and appropriate resources to meet student needs. Time can be used for:
- an overhaul of the information and resources in the school or college (which could include libraries, careers rooms, sixth form, VLE, websites etc.) plus a written report and recommendations for additional or replacement resources/websites suitable for the needs of the students
- support for making best use of careers related software and / or the YC Hertfordshire website
Time needed varies depending on exact requirements. Typically, work consists of a visit lasting up to 1.5 hours to discuss and analyse the situation, plan tasks and agree timeframe. Tasks may be carried out during this visit or a return visit may be agreed. Research, follow up work and the report will take a minimum of 1.5 hours.
Careers curriculum support – tailored to meet the needs of the school or college, to develop the careers, employability and enterprise curriculum which could be one or more of the following:
- reviewing career related provision to map against latest best practice frameworks and identify any development needs for the careers and work related education programme or the staff delivering the programme.
- an induction into the support YC Hertfordshire can provide for a new Careers Coordinator and other school staff
- a focus on developing a particular topic in the careers and work related education curriculum or a key stage scheme of work identified as in need of development, including research and development of ideas and activities for career related schemes of work
- in depth support in planning, reviewing and evaluating the careers and work related curriculum and policy in line with school or college requirements
- developing an evaluation and review process for careers and work related education
Time required will vary depending on exact requirements. Work typically consists of a visit lasting up to an hour to discuss and analyse the situation, agree tasks and timescale with the remaining time working on agreed outcomes outside of school.
Quality in Careers Standard (Investor in Careers) Support – to gain the national Quality in Careers Standard quality award which includes mentoring staff through planning, evidence gathering and assessment. Support given could include
- introduction to the award and requirements
- contributing to the preparation of an Investor in Careers action plan
- identification and gathering of evidence to demonstrate how the criteria have been met
- tools to support you with meeting the standards
- a ‘health check’ of evidence before external assessment
Support includes the time for a visit and writing up recommendations. Statutory guidance updated in March 2017 recommends that schools undertake this award.
For more information about the award, click here
Inset Support for School / College Staff and Governors - bespoke to meet the school or college needs around topics related to careers and work related education. This could include topics such as
- good websites for careers information
- ideas for careers and work related education in tutor time
- ideas for careers and work related education across the curriculum
- update on statutory duties for careers guidance
- preparing for Ofsted inspections of careers provision
- the Quality in Careers Standard award
- use of Link2+ for work experience
- preparing students to make subject choices
Typical timing for this would be half a day, which includes one hour of delivery plus related preparation time.
Please contact email@example.com for more information