Young people recognised for their achievements by Hertfordshire County Council
10 November 2017
60 young people from across Hertfordshire were recognised for their achievements, during this year’s YC Hertfordshire Young People’s Awards Ceremony, which took place at County Hall in Hertford on Wednesday 8th November.
Executive Member for Children’s Services, County Councillor Teresa Heritage, spoke at the event and presented the young people with certificates.
Young people were nominated by their peers and their Youth Workers. This year’s winners include:
- Astra who has campaigned for LGBTQ rights and helped members of the public to have a better understanding of the LGBTQ community.
- Hawra who has been a member of a youth council and set up online campaigns to tackle issues around inequality and discrimination.
- Tara and Daniel who have both shown dedication and staying power in order to successfully complete YC Hertfordshire’s Pathways to Success programme and gone on to secure traineeships and apprenticeships.
- Ashley and Oliver who have attended projects and overcome self-confidence and self-esteem issues and now offer support to their peers.
- Katie who completed the Plus One Parenting Programme where she gained valuable employability and parenting skills. The programme saw her grow in confidence and ability to make informed and positive choices.
Executive Member for Children’s Services, County Councillor Teresa Heritage, said: “It is great to meet so many exceptional young people who have stood out to us because of their achievements over the last year. Many have offered support and leadership to their peers, while others have overcome significant challenges to make huge progress in their personal development. We are very proud of you and hope that you continue to progress as you move towards adulthood.”
Helen Branson, a parent who attended the awards ceremony, said: “YC Hertfordshire is truly inspiring. The young people I have seen at this award presentation have clearly benefitted massively from all of YC Hertfordshire’s help and advice.”
The awards highlight the range of support provided by YC Hertfordshire which has worked with more 10,000 young people across the County in the last year delivering targeted prevention and early intervention work.